Steel Pipe Thickness Tolerance of EN10219, API 5L and ASTM A53
As different , both seamless pipes and welded pipes, will used for different application. Then for different usage, there will be many different steel pipe standards in the pipe fields. Thus there are different requirements. So, it’s important to know what’s your application before you inquire or purchase pipes.
Here we compare three steel pipe standards:
- EN10219-This Standard is for Cold formed welded structural hollow sections of non-alloy and fine grain steels.
- API 5L-This International Standard specifies requirements for the manufacture of two product specification levels(PSL 1 and PSL 2) of seamless and welded steel pipes for use in pipeline transportation systems in the petroleum and natural gas industries.
- ASTM A53-This Standard is Specification for Pipe, Steel, Black and Hot-Dipped, Zinc-Coated, Welded and Seamless.Pipe ordered under this specification is intended for mechanical and pressure applications and is also acceptable for ordinary uses in steam, water, gas, and air lines.
Just because it’s for different applications, and the thickness tolerance is different to each other.
D ≤ 406,4 mm:
≤ 5 mm ± 10%
|T ≤ 5 mm ± 10 %||
> 5 mm ± 0,5 mm
|T > 5 mm ± 0,5 mm|
|For D > 406,4 mm:|
|± 10 % with a maximum of ± 2mm|
2.API 5L-Thickness Tolerance
|Wall thickness t mm (in)||
Tolerances a mm
|SMLS pipe b|
|≤4,0 (0.157)||+0,6 (0.024) -0,5 (0.020)|
|＞4,0 (0.157) to ＜25,0 (0.984)||+0,150 t -0,125 t|
+3,7 (0.146) or 0,1 t, whichever is the
-3,0 (0.120) or . 0,1 t, whichever is the greater
|Welded pipe c,d|
|≤ 5,0 (0.197)||± 0,5 (0.020)|
|＞5,0 (0.197) to ＜15,0 (0.591)||± 0,1 t|
|≥ 15,0 (0.591)||± 1,5 (0.060)|
- a If the purchase order specifies a minus tolerance for wall thickness smaller than the applicable value given in this table, the plus tolerance for wall thickness shall be increased by an amount sufficient to maintain the applicable tolerance range.
- b For pipe with D W 355,6 mm (14.000 in) and t W 25,0 mm (0.984 in), the wall-thickness tolerance locally may exceed the plus tolerance for wall thickness by an additional 0,05 t, provided that the plus tolerance for mass (see 9.14) is not exceeded.
- c The plus tolerance for wall thickness does not apply to the weld area.
- d See 9.13.2 for additional restrictions.
3.ASTM A53-Thickness Tolerance
- Weight (Mass)—The weight (mass) of the pipe shall not vary more than 6 10 % from its specified weight (mass), as derived by multiplying its measured length by its specified weight (mass) per unit length.
- Diameter—For pipe NPS 11⁄2 [DN 40] or smaller, the outside diameter at any point shall not vary more than 6 1⁄64 in. [0.4 mm] from the specified outside diameter. For pipe NPS 2 [DN 50] or larger, the outside diameter shall not vary more than 6 1 % from the specified outside diameter.
- Thickness—The minimum wall thickness at any point shall be not more than 12.5 % under the specified wall thickness.
From the above table of three steel pipe standards, we can see the thickness tolerance in ASTM A53 is wide. Just because of the application of ASTM A53 standard is very ordinary. So, the requirement of A53 is not so high. We will compare other standard requirements for you in pipe field. You can comments below if there is anything needed to be revised.